List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [Owncloud] Suggestions
From:       iberlynx <iberlynx () lavabit ! com>
Date:       2010-07-15 5:52:06

Sure, I'm not saying git is imperative, although git IIRC merges all kinds of text, \
not just code, and office (XML) files are just text wright? And is pretty fast. My \
point was that IMHO, there should be no need to slow the interface down because of \
locking, since we can fix the inconsistencies with an intelligent merge algorithm. I \
agree with you that a context (from structured media) aware (something like the \
duchain of kdevelop) solution would simplify things a bit. But still i think git is \
wright in not merging within the same line, because if two people do opposing changes \
in the same line, we've got a problem. Maybe the solution lies with the standard \
highlighting the line that the other user is editing, which is already an intuitive \
visual deterrent for editing that line, combined with the locking of only that \
highlighted line. So if the user for example tries to change formatting of a whole \
paragraph which contains said highlighted line (other user is editing), the interface \
just flashes and gives out some kind of warning that you can't edit the same line \
other users are editing remotely, and asks: do you wish to 1. don't apply formatting, \
2. apply formatting to the rest of the lines, 3. suggest the other user to apply \
formatting to the whole block? The rest of the text should be totally free to edit \
everything with no latency at all.

what do you say?