List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Substitute for the MSOOXML concept of Comments
From:       Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann () zagge ! de>
Date:       2010-07-15 5:47:30

On Thursday 15 July 2010 00:14:35 Carlos Licea wrote:
> > I don't want to use "unacceptable" as an argument as thats too strong,
> > but I do think Thorsten has a good point.
> >
> > If our filters create ODF that is only actually parsable by KOffice and
> > would likely require us to create reading code in KOffice and a new
> > feature to show this too. All for MSOffice interoperability. Also this
> > KOffice-only feature would be saved out in a koffice-only manner which
> > means we are essentially hindering interoperability and adding a lot of
> > maintenance because the MSOOXML spec is pretty darn huge and filled with
> > this kind of stuff.
> >
> > In my opinion; the fact that MS created a feature that doesn't cleanly
> > map to ODF should in my opinion mean we find the closest possible
> > standardized representation and use that. Which has the advantage of
> > that document being usable for KWord and OOo and many other ODF readers
> > including MSOffice.
>
> I agree that interoperability should be amongst our major concerns, but I
> see nothing wrong with making our additions to ODF, and then try to make
> it into the standard.
>
> As a side note, this change doesn't affect KWord. This kind of comments
> (§19.4.1 cm) are only for presentations.
>
> Now, if you could stop focusing only on the creation of another element.
> Instead I'd like to hear proposals on what approach to take.
>
> Also, I've already provided another way to do this but nobody has commented
> on that. This approach bends a little bit the rules and loses some
> information but it's ODF compatible.

I did some more reading and what I have found in odf that comes close to what
you want to do is the tag <office:annotation>. However the tag is only possible
in a text:p or a text:list element.

Here are some ideas on how it could be done: However we need to really discuss
if we should go this way as it is at the border on the things that can be done
and it might result in bad usability and interoperability with other
applications.

So the question now is how can we find a way on displaying it. Basically we
need a text shape where the annotation can be added to. It would contain no
text an thus it would not be visible in the presentation. Maybe we can set to
to hidden but still have a way to display the annotation.

Thinks that would need to be made sure that such a workaround can enter koffice
are the following in my opinion:
o odf needs to validate
o other applications need to be able to load the odf
   meaning they should not show the text during the presentation
o the annotations should not be shown during presentation in kpresenter

How about you test out the above and write a mail to the ODF TC to ask for
their opinion about that or the preferred way to implement that. I can forward
the mail to the TC.

Thorsten