List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Google Online document Plugin for KOffice
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-07-06 6:55:20

On Tuesday 6. July 2010 08.16.30 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> "The reason I bring this up is that we are getting more and more plugins
> in  our main repository that don't actually pass our main criteria for
> release."
>
> I read that as "not good enough for trunk".

What I wrote was "not ready for release", there is a huge difference there :)

First, "trunk" is a misnomer, we have a repository of koffice that is subjected
to the release cycle, to freezes and source incompatible changes every now and
then.
Second; "the koffice community" does not end at the borders of the koffice repo.
There already is the kofficetest one and we have had izi and other branches of
koffice too. we can easily have a kofficeplugins repo.

You will have to accept that there are people that want to start a project
outside the koffice repository. They may want to follow only a released version
(since otherwise you have to compile all of KOffice) they may want to ignore
things like strings freeze. People may even not be sure they can put any time
into the project to 'finish' it.
As I said, you will have to accept that people feel that way. And we should
pull those people into the community and create a kofficeplugins repository to
accommodate them.

Its growing the community by allowing others that don't work exactly like you
to be part too.

--
Thomas Zander