List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Google Online document Plugin for KOffice
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-07-05 6:37:38

On Monday 5. July 2010 08.04.14 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > For a staging area to work for me, the following two criteria have to be
> >
> > fulfilled:
> >  * The code has to be completely visible so that other people can see it
> >
> > and help out (as you also write above).
> >
> >  * It must be real easy to build a koffice with the "unfinished" shapes
> >
> > included in the build.
>
> I'd much prefer not to split the community at all. It's not as if the
> KOffice  community is too big -- we need to be open and welcoming to
> everyone. If there is one thing I have learned from the great
> community-related presentations this year at akademy it's that dividing
> the community between "core" and "not- yet-core" developers is a sure way
> to lose the second category

I respectfully disagree that putting up a dedicated area for not-yet-ready
plugins is splitting the community. Its doing the opposite, its pulling in the
already split community back into one.
Having a dedicated playground for koffice plugins is surely a big step up as I
counted 3 koffice plugins spread over 2 servers and also because of the other
reasons that I wrote in my other mail.

Having a dedicated area for koffice plugins is what Plasma is doing and they have
a really good track record for growing their community.

I spent yesterday pulling in those 3 projects and none of them just compiled.
Mostly due to changes in KOffice API. I made 2 of them compile, the 3rd I'll get
to soon.

I'm asking the KDE sysadmin guys if a new project can be created on git.kde.org
so everyone can just push to that without setup issues.
I invite Mani and others (Robert Marmorstein?) to start using it and more
experienced koffice developers to compile and install it on a regular basis.

--
Thomas Zander