List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Google Online document Plugin for KOffice
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2010-07-05 6:04:14

On Sunday 04 July 2010, Inge Wallin wrote:

> As long as this staging area isn't the developers own harddisk and
> reviewboard, I guess it could be done.  Right now the reviewboard seem to
> be acting more as a blocking post than a help, given how many open reviews
> that we have.  We have to do something about that soon.

> For a staging area to work for me, the following two criteria have to be
> fulfilled:
>  * The code has to be completely visible so that other people can see it
> and help out (as you also write above).
>  * It must be real easy to build a koffice with the "unfinished" shapes
> included in the build.

I'd much prefer not to split the community at all. It's not as if the KOffice
community is too big -- we need to be open and welcoming to everyone. If there
is one thing I have learned from the great community-related presentations
this year at akademy it's that dividing the community between "core" and "not-
yet-core" developers is a sure way to lose the second category. Besides, who
gets to decide what is sufficient quality? If I look back at the text-on-shape
discussion, both versions of the patch are unfinished in some regards, for
instance.

> Right now we do actually fulfill the two criteria above by having them
> inside the normal source and disabling them at the release.  Another real
> simple thing we could do is to create a plugins/staging/ subdirectory
> where the plugins are developed until they are ready and then they are
> just moved up one step.  I don't think we have enough unfinished shapes
> being developed inside KOffice to warrant a more complex solution.

That could be a good compromise -- but I don't think even that is necessary.

> And another question arises: Is it too early to do this?  Many applications
> are not exactly polished yet either.

I think that everyone with KDE commit rights has the right to commit a new
plugin to KOffice trunk. When it's release time, we can discuss with the
author whether the plugin should be in the release or whether it should be
disabled. It has worked very well for years.

As far as I am concerned, Mani should commit his google docs plugin, I'm
excited to see it and I want to play with it!