List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: retire the koffice mailing list
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2010-06-28 21:43:11

Lets ask on koffice@kde.org if the subscribed people still have a use for the
list ?

On Monday 28 June 2010, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 28. June 2010 21.53.08 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > On Monday 28 June 2010, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > Does it hurt to keep it?
> >
> > Yes, if it is not used, it means people are less likely to get answer, or
> > will have to wait longer.
>
> If its not used that means people don't sent mails there, but we still have
> many users (all kplato users for example) and many devs are subscribed
> there. For that reason I don't agree with your conclusion that it should
> take longer for people get no answer. Many people probably see an email
> before they see a forum post. At least I do.
> Looking at the archives your fear is also not what is happening.
Well, indeed because looking at the archive shows the list is dead, or simply
misused, most of the mails send there should have been send to that list.

> > This is why we should encourage users to
> > concentrate on widely used media, such as the forum.
>
> I agree with that, but these two are not mutually exclusive.
Sure.

> You don't have to put time into the user list if you don't want to. If
> there are no emails being sent to the list members don't get annoyed.
> Essentially I don't understand the drive to take away the option for
> others to do things the way it works for them. Especially if it doesn't
> harm you.
See my point above, the recent mails sent to that list were not user questions
but question to developers, which means koffice@ is misused instead of koffice-
devel@, either by mistake, or by ignorance. Obviously it is possible for you
to forward the mail, if needed, but why bother ?

And for the record, I don't have an opinion on what happen to that list. I am
just giving reasons on why it could be better to suppress it.

--
Cyrille Berger