List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Change Tracking of Lists - Storing delete fragments
From:       Ganesh Paramasivam <ganesh () crystalfab ! com>
Date:       2010-03-26 11:31:41

> I don't know what would the best solution be. For interoperability, I am not
> sure what the reaction of the other word processors would be in both cases.

I had initially thought of a similar solution which would entail the
addition of an additional attribute in list-item and list for the same
purpose( isValidListItem, isValidList). But the problem with that and
the second solution ( list-item within a list-item ) is that, it would
result in a non-ODF complaint file.

The advantage with using the Metadata approach is that the resulting
file would be completely ODF complaint.

Another advantage is that, the resulting document would be
inter-operable at-least with OOO. The reason is that, OOO generates
something like this for this use-case

<list>
  <list-item>
  </list-item>
  <list-item>
  </list-item>
</list>

And we would generate something like this

<list id="list1">
  <list-item id="list-item1">
  </list-item>
  <list-item id = "list-item2">
  </list-item>
</list>

And the properties isValidListItem and isValidList would be stored as
metadata linked to content.xml through the id's. Since OOO would not
know how to handle these properties, OOO would skip just them. So this
generated document would work with OOO as well as a OOO generated
document under the same condition. And if the document is opened in
KWord, we can load and accurately display user-intent.

- Ganesh