List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Missing ODF features -- bugs or wishes
From:       Jos van den Oever <Jos.van.den.Oever () kogmbh ! com>
Date:       2010-03-25 16:18:24

On Wednesday 24 March 2010 11:55:08 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 March 2010, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > My view in a nutshell:
> >  * Missing ODF features are bugs.  This is not a strong opinion, and I
> >
> > wouldn't protest if it was decided that they should be wishes instead.
>
> This raises the question, shoulld KOffice be a full-blown, heavy ODF
> editor, or should KOffice follow his own path, and be a light-weight
> office suite that uses ODF to save documents.

I do not think that adding the parts of ODF that we currently do not implement
would change KOffice from a light to a heavy application. Personally, I think
that having multiple applications that implement most of ODF is desirable.
Certainly there are a few features that are hard to support on all platforms
such as OLE. So in my opinion, missing ODF features are a bug by default
unless the bug discussion shows that it a feature is not feasible at all.

> If the first is the path we want to follow, then obviously Missing ODF
> features are bugs. If the second one is followed, they are neither bugs or
> features, depending on whether we feel the features are needed for our
> users.
>
> >  * Missing features should be in bugzilla both if they are missing code
> >
> > inside some already existing file and if they are missing components /
> > plugins.
> >
> >  * It does make sense to keep lists of wishes in bugzilla.  This is a
> >
> > strong opinion that I will fight for.
>
> The question is about where to host features that can be done as plugins,
> in bugzilla or outside. If it is in bugzilla, I would suggest to add a
> 'koffice- ideas' product, with only feature requests for new plugins. Or a
> 'koffice- extensions' that can host feature request for new plugins and
> bugs for the already available extensions.
This is a good plan.

Cheers,
Jos

--