List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Meeting minutes for the 13 February
From:       Jos van den Oever <Jos.van.den.Oever () kogmbh ! com>
Date:       2010-02-17 6:43:55

On Tuesday 16 February 2010 23:41:25 jaham@gmx.net wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 February 2010 20:22:46 Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Monday 15. February 2010 23.48.19 jaham@gmx.net wrote:
> > > Sorry for my short mail. I try to be a little more clear.
> > > Working on Karbon and trying to support odg as well as svg, I learned
> > > that what sounds good on paper, i.e. that odg reuses svg, is very
> > > misleading. What  they are using is single svg attributes for certain
> > > properties, like svg:x or svg:width for positioning and sizes. Another
> > > thing what odg does is take some svg elements, but strip some things
> > > from them. I.e. not all commands to define a path are supported, text
> > > on path, etc.
> >
> > Hmm, that sounds bad. :(  I didn't know this.
> >
> > Is it an option for us to just accept that we need to add properties to
> > the odg files we write to make things work, even though we then don't
> > qualify
> >
> >  as ODF-strict anymore?
> >
> > It sounds bad, but at least its more interoperable than not using ODF,
> >
> >  right? Or is there another alternative?
>
> Yes as Cyrille said, I think svg is the way to go for graphic content (at
> least for Karbon).

You do need to add extra content to SVG too to define certain logic for the
connectors for example. I'm not saying that disqualifies SVG, just an
observation. SVG has some different versions and you'd need to pick one. Do
want to support all of SVG including javascript and SMIL? Probably not, so say
what features of SVG you are going to be supporting and make the reading code
verbose about unsupported features that are removed. This also involves
Inkscape and Dia extensions and namespaces.

Cheers,
Jos

--
Jos van den Oever, software architect