List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Some thoughts
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2010-01-28 20:59:44

On Thursday 28 January 2010, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 28. January 2010 16.56.04 lassi.ta.nieminen@nokia.com wrote:
> > Now I'm wondering that if there will be more UIs in the future, for
> > example to iPad or who knows what, they will face exactly the same
> > issues.
>
> As you guys build on top of a very unstable set of libraries that are still
> today being refactored quite heavily, I'm thinking that future projects
> will be mitigated from this risk a lot more.

Well, there is nothing fundamental happening in the libraries at the moment.
Cleaning up isn't a big problem.

> >In order to ease this, would it be a terrible idea at some point to
> >separate the build of all of the UIs of applications somehow from the
> >main build?
>
> The UI of FreOffice is limited by the design restrictions of Maemo, and the
> choice was made to ignore the KOffice UI totally.
> However you should not ignore that the KOffice UI as such is highly
> configurable and would easily be deployable on a device like the N900 and
> whatever comes next. There is a massive amount of configuration and
> modification possible that is currently unused and unexplored.
> The FreMantle UI is nice, but is a dead end. The UI as we see it being
> developed in the libs and naturally the individual applications and in the
> plugins has the future.

Personally, I'd wish for less ui in the core libs.

> Both on desktop and embedded.

I very seriously doubt that. But I can't check, my crystal ball is on the
fritz.

> I think it would be a huge mistake to try to factor that out from the rest
> of KOffice.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I think that, especially given
the way qwidget replacements are breeding like bunnies in and around Qt,
komain seems to be something that has been shown to be a liability, and that
having an even more rigorous separation between ui and core could be very
advantageous.

Not that this is particularly germane to Lassi's points, I think.