List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Some thoughts
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-01-28 19:49:53

On Thursday 28. January 2010 16.56.04 lassi.ta.nieminen@nokia.com wrote:
> Now I'm wondering that if there will be more UIs in the future, for example
> to iPad or who knows what, they will face exactly the same issues.

As you guys build on top of a very unstable set of libraries that are still
today being refactored quite heavily, I'm thinking that future projects will
be mitigated from this risk a lot more.

>In order to ease this, would it be a terrible idea at some point to separate
>the build of all of the UIs of applications somehow from the main build?

The UI of FreOffice is limited by the design restrictions of Maemo, and the
choice was made to ignore the KOffice UI totally.
However you should not ignore that the KOffice UI as such is highly configurable
and would easily be deployable on a device like the N900 and whatever comes
next. There is a massive amount of configuration and modification possible that
is currently unused and unexplored.
The FreMantle UI is nice, but is a dead end. The UI as we see it being
developed in the libs and naturally the individual applications and in the
plugins has the future. Both on desktop and embedded.
I think it would be a huge mistake to try to factor that out from the rest of
KOffice.

--
Thomas Zander