List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Move to git Was: Re: Review policy proposal. Wat: Re: koffice
From:       Dmitry Kazakov <dimula73 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-01-21 14:47:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Cyrille Berger <cberger@cberger.net>wrote:

> On Sunday 10 January 2010, jaham@gmx.net wrote:
> > I would prefer to at least wait until the hard feature freeze, otherwise
> >  my  current very low coding motivation will probably drop to zero. But I
> >  don't want to prevent progress in any way.
> >
> The goal was to switch to git, as soon as possible to have people become
> more
> familiar with it. And in a first step, we would not change the workflow,
> and we
> would use git like we used svn (not preventing the use of branches, or the
> more advanced features, but we would keep).
>
> Since we want the transition to be soft, if people think it will affect
> their
> work at the feature time, we can do it later, early March. (we could do it
> just after 2.2, but then we would have to wait until experiencing the 4
> monthes schedule)

Well, i think we should do this as soon as possible. Especially, looking the
soft-freeze has come.

There were some discussions about reviewing the patch before the commit at
the maillist. At the same time, many developers have already moved to git
and use workarounds like git-svn. This makes patch reviewing process quite
hard. We have already had threads full of patches: [1] and [2]. And not
everybody liked it. Do we really want to transform our maillist to the
endless flow of patches like linux-kernel ml? If it goes on in the way, many
of us will have to move to Quilt instead of Git and SVN both ;)

Can we run gitorous repo in parallel to SVN? When the commit comes to svn,
it's transmitted to git and in reverse? Just as a temporary measure?

I could be one of the first beta-testers of this feature... :)

[1] -
http://old.nabble.com/flake-patches-for-review-%281-3%29-to27089019.html
[2] - http://old.nabble.com/Walkers-mass-test---help-needed-to27244267.html

--