List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: website reforms
From:       Jos van den Oever <Jos.van.den.Oever () kogmbh ! com>
Date:       2010-01-19 9:12:22

On Monday 18 January 2010 20:31:03 Alexandra Leisse wrote:
> > As long as we stay within 1024 the overall width is small enough
> > imho.
>
> I have checked the stats of qt.nokia.com and the top 5 screen
> resolutions, adding up to approximately 72% of all visitors over the
> last 30 days, are the usual suspects ranging from 1024 to 1680.
> Especially the small screens like the 800x480 for the n900 make 0.17%
>
> My feeling is that we can safely ignore those for now.
Setting widths in hard pixels is bad webdesign in my opinion. Also the screen
stats from Nokia sites may not reflect those of koffice.

If you are afraid that the text column is squashed by the sidebars on small
screens, you should change the layout to put the sidebars above or below.

Setting a reasonable minimum and maximum for text is acceptable. This can be
done using character width as a unit, e.g. min-width="40em" max-width="100em".

http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-CSS2-20080411/visudet.html#min-max-widths

Cheers,
Jos

--