List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: website reforms
From:       Alexandra Leisse <leisse () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-01-18 19:31:03

Hello!

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:02, C. Boemann <cbo@boemann.dk> wrote:
> I'm the one hacking on the website.

Which was discussed with me before and I am fine.

> I agree about not wanting too much text. The website is not
> good yet imho. There is indeed too much text still.

Agreed, I do like the direction it is going though. Tweak on! ;)

> I'm not agreeing about overall width needing to be that small,
> but i've tuned it down again now to 850. And it was 700 before
> not 550.
>
> As long as we stay within 1024 the overall width is small enough
> imho.

I have checked the stats of qt.nokia.com and the top 5 screen
resolutions, adding up to approximately 72% of all visitors over the
last 30 days, are the usual suspects ranging from 1024 to 1680.
Especially the small screens like the 800x480 for the n900 make 0.17%

My feeling is that we can safely ignore those for now.

Much more important is the content above the fold anyway and that goes
for all pages.

> Anyway, yes the kword pages became too much text and too
> little images. One way to remedy that is to have text next to the
> images and not everything below one another.
>
> As for the landing page. the idea of the two colums of text is that
> the most current release should always stay within the first
> screen any visitor sees. And the other story is for blog like
> stories, to keep the landing site fresh  and interesting.

Sounds like a sane approach to me. Both columns are visible above the
fold on my screen and make me want to scroll.

> But as i said. I'm still not happy with the outcome yet, so for the
> time being i've turned the width down to 850px, while
> comtemplating the next move.

The problem always is to keep a good balance of the columns. It's all
about proportions. The current look is fine now IMHO but I would not
make the page any wider to let the layout "breathe". White space makes
the website look more professional (and more expensive) since it gives
the impression that we can afford to waste space.

And no, I am not kidding. ;)

Greetz from CampKDE,
Alex

> best regards
> Casper
>

> On Monday 18 January 2010 09:21:56 Thomas Zander wrote:
>> I was a bit surprised last week that the website style was
> changed a bit,
>> and again this weekend.
>>
>> Can the person doing the work maybe send an email about
> this? Would be nice
>>  to not have a surprise when someone interested in KOffice
> comes to me and
>>  I have no idea what she is talking about ;)
>>
>> I got a heads up that the website is in fixed width but is so
> wide that it
>> doesn't fit on many screens anymore.
>> So I looked and was surprised to see it went from some 550
> pixels last week
>>  to 900 pixels wide now.  I think thats a bit extreme. Looking at
> pages
>>  like; http://www.koffice.org/kword/ which was designed for 550
> pixels, the
>>  new width makes it look totally horrible. The design is to have
> minimal
>>  text and let the images talk, but that idea is totally lost with
> very long
>>  lines of text and lots of white inside the design. (vs outside the
>>  design).
>>
>> Can the width please be adjusted to be more in the direction
> of 550 again?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> If you need a lot of text then the idea of an advertising
> website should
>>  maybe be rethought. I really like the idea that we have a
> website that
>>  advertises the product we make instead of looking like one of
> the many
>>  geek websites with more text than pictures.

Alexandra Leisse
Sent from La Jolla, CA, United States