List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Review policy proposal. Wat: Re: koffice
From:       "C. Boemann" <cbo () boemann ! dk>
Date:       2009-12-31 12:58:31

On Thursday 31 December 2009 13:30:50 Thomas Zander
wrote:
> So, if people really want I can start posting all refactor patches
here
>  first, but I'd like to know what others think; isn't this a bit
overkill?
>  Will you help reviewing? Is it worth your time? (i.e. do you
read all libs
>  patches on the svn commits ML?)
> I fear it will take all the joy out of the work for many here as it
would
>  add an unrealistic bureaucratic overhead.
I usually look at those commits yes. Not to the point of checking
the code works as intended or that it complies with coding style,
but more on the overall impact.

I think that if we have a timeout period it will be manageable for
all of us, to have a look.

more import I think that maybe we should have a pre-coding
review as well or instead. Like a mail saying: I'd like to change
these method names to this and that. Again with a timeout
period. But this would prevent us from coding a lot only to have
it rejected. This will lessen the emotional investment, and we
might find it easier to accept a decline.

If we do have such a pre-coding review, then we might be able
to only have post-commit reviews of actual changes? Commit
message could then refer to the mail thread.

some changes (like bugfixes) would probably have to be coded
before the poster would actually know what the change will
consist of, but in that case, the patch could just be posted for
review. Thus becoming a pre-commit review.

I also agree that it's hard to differentiate as to what changes
have an impact and which don't. So I think it might be good to
say: Everything should be reviewed. I'd hate it myself to have to
go through this process for even simple fixes, but I also think it's
needed.

best regards
Casper