List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Review policy proposal. Wat: Re: koffice
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-12-31 12:30:50

On Thursday 31. December 2009 12.48.44 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> I think refactoring/cleanup patces need to be put up for review, either on
> reviewboard (which is sucking more and more), or on the mailing list if
>  they  are either big, or touch applications. (This is going to suck for
>  me, personally, since I've got a big pigment refactoring coming up and
>  it's already more than a dozen patches big, but if we agree on this, I'll
>  clean them up and submit for review.)

I'm not disagreeing; but is this feasible?
Just a quick check; I made 23 refactors in flake in the last week.
I made 68 refactors in the last month.

I think there were 2 that raised eyebrows; I'm not sure how to differentiate
between ones that do and ones that don't.  Your differentiator weather it
touches applications or not doesn't include both of them.

So, if people really want I can start posting all refactor patches here first,
but I'd like to know what others think; isn't this a bit overkill? Will you
help reviewing? Is it worth your time? (i.e. do you read all libs patches on
the svn commits ML?)
I fear it will take all the joy out of the work for many here as it would add
an unrealistic bureaucratic overhead.

I do understand the background here, and I think the solution proposed by boud
would work, but at what cost?
I'm thinking that these small amount of questions resulting from my work is
something we can discuss in a civilized manner post-commit, can't we?

And to be clear; all patches that I thought would raise eyebrows have been
discussed before committing. The issues raised were a surprise to me.
--
Thomas Zander