List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability suggestion: Use Esc to switch to default tool
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2009-12-18 6:28:29

On Thursday 17 December 2009, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 17. December 2009 08.12.05 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 December 2009, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > I don't see other uses for Esc, so I hope this suggestion isn't as
> > > controversial as my previous one. It would just be an easy to remember
> > > shortcut to selecting the default tool for users who are either
> > > confused by  the tool they have currently selected or are done using it
> > > and want to switch back to the tool that that does nothing but select
> > > things.
> >
> > Krita uses Escape as a global (i.e., not tool-based) shortcut to
> > show/hide dockers and toolbox.
>
> Interesting; just last week sven told me this feature was still missing in
> Krita :D

I added it early november (http://www.krita.org/component/content/article/9-
krita-updates/16-spray-favorites-formats). I choose Esc because that's the
only key available on my tablet pc :-)

> Escape seems to fit more to the idea that (the other) Thomas suggested for
> other apps. I guess the default tool is not the best thing to go to for
>  Krita, so this is not all that relevant for Krita.
>
> Does my change have any negative side effect on Krita?

Not sure yet, I currently am in the middle of a big refactoring so I haven't
been able to test.

I guess a global shortcut will override the keys seens by a tool, if not I can
code around it. I was thinking of trying to make Esc hide/show dockers and
toolbar when the active layer is a raster layer, and to make it activate the
default tool when it is a vector layer, but I'm not sure how to work that.