List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    flake API, kopathshape and friends
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-12-12 18:09:15

I would really appreciate some more people thinking along on some hard issues
in flake API.

As you know, KOffice wants to have several of its libraries be made useful for
use outside of the koffice codebase itself.  This is essential to get 3rd party
plugin writers.
I already did quite some changes in flake to get to a point where a promise of
binary compatibility will not lead to unmaintainable.
After looking at the kopathshape and other classes I found a bigger set of
issues than I will try to attack on my own. Especially since I don't really
have much of experience with these classes.

I wrote stuff down in the wiki
http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Libs/Flake/PathShapes_API_review
and I'd love some help here.
If someone can write a couple of examples that load a moderately sized svg
image and make it stand alone (just link to flake) that would be an awesome
thing.
The goal is to run it through several profilers, so we can see how much memory
is consumed and how often malloc is called etc.
Another test would be a relatively complex KoParameterShape that recalculates
its shape based on one handle. The thing I want to know is how expensive it is
to recreate a complicated vector object. Again, malloc being an issue.

I've got some ideas about how to make this a non issue (I did the same for
KWPage which had a similar design issue), but it will be a rather invasive
change so we'd better be sure we have to.

I would especially like some input from the people that wrote this code, Jan
and Thorsten.
I can certainly help doing the work, if thats wanted. But I hope we can get
some other volunteers to help too ;)
--
Thomas Zander