List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: 2.2 Release plan
From:       Jaroslaw S <kexipl () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-02 0:20:33

2009/12/2 Cyrille Berger <cberger@cberger.net>:
> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009, Jaroslaw S wrote:
>> Please excuse me the insanely long thread.
>> We share kofficelibs and kdelibs and keep only one version installed
>> of these. If not all koffice 2.2 applications allows (even degraded)
>> installation for KDE 4.3/Qt4.5, users of KDE 4.3 [*] will either have
>> to only install these 2.2 applications that were backported to KDE
>> 4.3/Qt4.5, and uninstall the other that require massive upgrade.
> yes, so we agree :)
>
> Let me remind you that Krita aimed to be a digital painting application,
> For such an application, a tablet is not a gadget, it is an essential
> component. Therefor non-working tablet is a near critical issue. It use
> to work fine in the past because linux distributions required the user to
> configure by hand their X11 (and also applications, in 1.6 you had to tell
> Krita that there is a tablet, to quote a french humourist "the driver
> is what tell the electrical plug that the dish washer is plug on it").
> Works has been done recently to fix that issue, and to make tablet just
> work, in the linux kernel, xorg and Qt. But the first version of Qt that
> just work is 4.6. Older versions are even extremely hard to configure to
> make them work. Given that we consider tablet to be an essential part of
> Krita, and that broken tablet support means broken Krita, so we are willing
> to tell our users "if you want krita 2.2, you need Qt 4.6".

I understand your motivation for the delivering all the new features
and having users only to run the newest platform (==Qt, KDElibs). But
we're not packaging binaries, we do not control distros, we at most
can have good relations wih the folks.
Therefore if some distro wants to _backport_  2.2 to the KDE 4.3-based
version, it's free to do it.
Why to limit this freedom? Apparently there are many other features
than the tablet support in 2.2...

Isn't easier to rephrase: "if you want tablet support use krita 2.2
with Qt 4.6" ?
That would mean for a distro X: "if you want tablet support, use
distro X 2010, not X 2009."

PS: as for the statement, Corel Painter, for all of its closed-source
nature, does not stop me from using mouse for actions I feel
comfortable without tablet (e.g. applying filters globally is such a
use case). If it did, there would be clear danger of limitation of the
user base.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 Kexi & KOffice (http://www.kexi-project.org, http://www.koffice.org)