List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: 2.2 Release plan
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2009-12-01 23:32:53

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009, Jaroslaw S wrote:
> Please excuse me the insanely long thread.
> We share kofficelibs and kdelibs and keep only one version installed
> of these. If not all koffice 2.2 applications allows (even degraded)
> installation for KDE 4.3/Qt4.5, users of KDE 4.3 [*] will either have
> to only install these 2.2 applications that were backported to KDE
> 4.3/Qt4.5, and uninstall the other that require massive upgrade.
yes, so we agree :)

Let me remind you that Krita aimed to be a digital painting application,
For such an application, a tablet is not a gadget, it is an essential
component. Therefor non-working tablet is a near critical issue. It use
to work fine in the past because linux distributions required the user to
configure by hand their X11 (and also applications, in 1.6 you had to tell
Krita that there is a tablet, to quote a french humourist "the driver
is what tell the electrical plug that the dish washer is plug on it").
Works has been done recently to fix that issue, and to make tablet just
work, in the linux kernel, xorg and Qt. But the first version of Qt that
just work is 4.6. Older versions are even extremely hard to configure to
make them work. Given that we consider tablet to be an essential part of
Krita, and that broken tablet support means broken Krita, so we are willing
to tell our users "if you want krita 2.2, you need Qt 4.6".

--
Cyrille Berger