List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bugfixes and Features
From:       "C. Boemann" <cbo () boemann ! dk>
Date:       2009-10-27 13:42:40

On Tuesday 27 October 2009 14:26:07 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 October 2009, C. Boemann wrote:
> > So would that me considered a bugfix or a feature?
>
> what about warning the user ? "This document use a feature that is not
> supported at the moment, opening the file might result in loss of
> formating/data".
>
> kword can't import what it can't handle. Otherwise, you can never set a
>  limit to adding feature. Going further on your example, how would you
>  handle non- editable sections ?

i understand your question as to how i would avoid making new stuff
editable?

well mostly like we have done with tables, which (apart from a creation
dialog) doesn't allow editing of the tables. It does allow editing of the text
within the tables.

In the same manner I foresee that we would not allow the user to add
sections. We would however probably allow the user to set the number of
columns within that sections.

To be precise I think that "setting number of columns" would just shift from
acting on the document as a whole to acting on the current section.

Note: I've not delved too deeply into how this would be done, so this is just
a thought example. I'm sure Thomas would have some specific
suggestions when it comes to actual implementation. But for now lets just
think of this as discussing about when it's a bug or a feature.