List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Use of Karbon canvas in KoPACanvas
From:       Carlos Licea <carlos_licea () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-27 5:22:15

On Lunes 26 Octubre 2009 21:42:54 Thorsten Zachmann escribió:
> On Mon October 26 2009, Carlos Licea wrote:
> > Dear list,
> > 	Kivio and KPresenter have a very annoying problem with their canvas
> > implementation: they display the page and a border around it, in which
> > you can move shapes around it. This is extremely distracting and
> > annoying.
>
> For me the bigger canvas has the plus that you can put stuff out of the way
> when you are working on other things.
>
> > 	Karbon in the other hand has "Infinite canvas", this is very desirable
> > in my opinion and feels much more natural.
>
> I have to agree that a growing canvas is more natural.
>
> > 	So, can we somehow change the KoPACanvas implementation to resemble
> > Karbon's? can we have a hierarchy class somehow to prevent code
> >  duplication? are there any assumptions that prevent this from happening?
> >  should we just provide another implementation of the same feature for
> > the PA ignoring Karbon's altogether? and finally, is it as desirable for
> > you as it is for me?
>
> I think it is not possible to use Karbons canvas inside kopageapp due to
> different needs. However it might be possible to have more code to handle
> infinite canvas inside the canvas controller so that every app which wants
>  to use an infinite canvas finds it easy to do so.
>
> > 	I understand that it is of not much use having an infinite canvas on a
> > printing-oriented application, such as Kivio, because anything outside
> > the page will not be printed. However, the current state is confusing and
> > distracting (having a rectangle resemble the page inside another white
> > rectangle feels weird to me).
>
> That is the same in karbon.
>
> I think a canvas that does the same as the the karbon canvas, growing when
> there is stuff put outside would be the best also for kopageapp. I worked
>  on that too. However due to the feature freeze I was not able to complete
>  it and have gone with the solution we have at the moment.
> It should also be possible to paint the background outside the page rect
>  with a different color to make it more obvious that it is outside of the
>  page. I did not do this for the current version as it would be quite
>  stange for the user to be able to move it outside the page but at one
>  point moving it more would not be possible due to being of the canvas.
>
> Note that it is quite possible in ODF to have shapes outside of the page
>  rect. For that case it should also be possible to see them and be able to
>  use them.
>
> > Falling back to clipping the shapes to the
> > page's size is even more annoying.
>
> I think an option to resize the shapes to fit into a given page size as
> Jaroslaw has proposed would be very nice especially for kivio.

So after reading all the mail I still can't extract the way to proceed. Will
you continue to work on the infinite canvas for KoPA?.

Also, with respect to the page-less kivio, I don't think it is a proper
workflow, as I responded to Jaroslaw, you *do* care how the diagram looks on
paper. The change of the paper size could trigger a repositioning and
rescaling of the shapes on the page (according to some Magic Algorith TM ;-)).

Carlos