List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice 2.2, usability and the Q4 sprint
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-09-02 8:01:24

On Wednesday 2. September 2009 09.33.35 Inge Wallin wrote:
> I maintain that not focusing on user interface now will make KOffice 2.2
> not ready for end users.

If KPresenter doesn't allow a user to vertically center his text, if Karbon
doesn't have text on each shape then it will not be end user ready for a large
chunk of users.
Your argument seems to assume that usability is the only problem we have to
reach the end-user-ready goal. Its is not. Will users complain about missing
features like not being able to edit tables, like not having more than one
type of shape-border (line), like not having mail merge, like not having
animations (think avi/divx) etc etc etc.

> Do you and Thomas thus advocate that we move the
> "user ready" stamp to 2.3?

I'm (personally) arguing that you are misunderstanding the issues KOffice faces.
All the user-level-visible problems I described above are problems in plugins.
Plugins that non-core people can only honestly hack on if we have a stable
API.

I am arguing that even if we put 100% of every developers time in usability,
we'll still not have an end-user-ready release in 2.2. Since too many end
users require one of the items from my (shortened) list above.

I would also suggest we stop reopening discussions we already had, we
discussed and decided on the last sprint to do a sprint in Oslo because we
agreed on the API stabilization. Its not helpful when discussion topics are
reopened and we have to re-argue all the points. If you don't have compelling
new arguments, lets follow previously made decisions. All of us. Please.

--
Thomas Zander

Qt Developer Days 2009 | Registration Now Open!
Munich, Germany: Oct 12 - 14     San Francisco, California: Nov 2 - 4
      http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2009