List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Review Request: Improve the toolbox layout
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-07-17 11:55:46

On Sunday 31 May 2009 15:59:44 Peter Simonsson wrote:
> -------
>
> Two parts to this diff:
> * Simplify the layout algo for the toolbox. The current approach just
> breaks to easily, so for example the default layout of kpresenter.

The reason for this breaking is because kpresenter still tries to put 11 tools
in the toolbox.
Its very easy to fix this in the toolbox (even without the patch) but the
consensus seems to be that kpresenter is doing it wrong. Unfortunately nobody
has been able to fix kpresenter yet.
Specifically;
* Having a tool with no mouse or keyboard interaction *just* for having a
selection of dockers seems wrong. Its abusing the concept of tools. I think we
should find a better way to switch between dockers. (did someone try tabs?)

* We have various tools that seem to go for the same user-goal but are now two
tools. The gradient and the pattern tools are an excellent example.

* The toolbox has the concept of 'sections' now all tools just go in the main
section which leads to it being 11 icons in one section in kpresenter.
I think we can make this all a bit easier by using the sections feature of the
toolbox.

> The new
> algorithm uses a different orientation depending on where the toolbox is
> docked, this takes us to the second part of the diff...

I think this looses the biggest design goal of the toolbox which is to make
the sections very clear and keep them nicely grouped in a tight group when
possible.
I see several problems with layouts now, which we didn't have before.

I am still under the impression the toolbox is fine for what its meant to do,
we do have serious issues but thats mostly because not everyone is following
the same concepts.

So, I don't think we should commit this.
Instead I'd love to see people fill in the wiki (again) to see where the issues
are and we should work on finding solutions for the fact we end up with a lot
of tools that I think we can cut down on.
--
Thomas Zander