List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice reports
From:       Dag Andersen <danders () get2net ! dk>
Date:       2009-07-04 12:52:21

Lørdag 04 juli 2009 12:10:53 skrev Adam Pigg:
> Dag Andersen wrote:
> > Earlier there was a lot of discussion on how to provide report facilities
> > to koffice apps.
> > Last night while watching a boring movie on tv I just thought maybe dbus
> > could be used. That should get away with dependencies on
> > internals/multiple apps, while still make it possible to utilize said
> > internals, no? <disclaimer>I haven't used/investigated dbus much so I
> > don't know it too well</disclaimer>
> >
> > What I was thinking:
> > Implement a generic/empty interface in KoDocument that ensures a common
> > interface for data extraction.
> > Add dbus capabilities to Adams report generator/designer.
> > Implement data retreival in the apps that want to provide this service
> > (prob kexi, kplato, kspread, kchart)
> >
> > Am I on to something, or have missed a trick?
>
> I have no idea about your idea, but i was also having thoughts.
>
> I was thinking that the report widgets could move outside kexi (into /libs
> or something) so they could be used in any app.
Yes, this was my original expectation, but if (when) they are put into flake
based shapes&tools I don't think it needs to be in libs. All access would be
trough flake (which is in libs).
> It would need some work to
> make some interfaces.  Its currently abstracted away from directly using
> kexidb, but still links to libkexidb and libkeximigrate, so would need some
> more work in this area.
If you want to access data from other apps, you need a way to get at it. One
way *could* be by dbus, others have been discussed before, I think.
Let's see what some of the others say.

> Have you tried kexi reports yet to see if it might do what you need?
No, not much, sorry. I have had a couple of other tasks I wanted to finish off
first.

Mvh.
Dag Andersen