List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice reports
From:       Adam Pigg <adam () piggz ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-07-04 10:10:53

Dag Andersen wrote:

> Earlier there was a lot of discussion on how to provide report facilities
> to koffice apps.
> Last night while watching a boring movie on tv I just thought maybe dbus
> could be used. That should get away with dependencies on
> internals/multiple apps, while still make it possible to utilize said
> internals, no? <disclaimer>I haven't used/investigated dbus much so I
> don't know it too well</disclaimer>
>
> What I was thinking:
> Implement a generic/empty interface in KoDocument that ensures a common
> interface for data extraction.
> Add dbus capabilities to Adams report generator/designer.
> Implement data retreival in the apps that want to provide this service
> (prob kexi, kplato, kspread, kchart)
>
> Am I on to something, or have missed a trick?

I have no idea about your idea, but i was also having thoughts.

I was thinking that the report widgets could move outside kexi (into /libs
or something) so they could be used in any app.  It would need some work to
make some interfaces.  Its currently abstracted away from directly using
kexidb, but still links to libkexidb and libkeximigrate, so would need some
more work in this area.

Have you tried kexi reports yet to see if it might do what you need?