List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal for splitting koffice/plugins/ dir
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-06-24 20:45:59

On Wednesday 24. June 2009 22.44.41 Adam Pigg wrote:
> There is currently 3 usecases.
>
> The first, within the reports plugin, allows a report to 'render' to an
> ods sheet.  This uses libkspreadcommon.

Any such ODF writing capabilities should become available in libodf.

> The second, provided by part of the 'migration' api is to take a
> spreadsheet, and do a 1 time conversion into a database.

You can do that by only linking to kexidb and libodf

> The third (newest) is to provide dynamic, runtime access to a spreadsheet
> as though it was a database, and allow report generation using this.

I have some doubts about how much we want this usecase, as cyrille pointed
out, this is calling for problems. See his first mail for reasons.

> Ontop of this, eventaully i'd also like to provide access to all koffice
> app scripting api's, so that a user writing a database app in kexi, can
> write scripts which have full access to the other app api's, for the
> purpose of generation of custom spreadsheets, or word-processor docs.

Thats fine, koscript should be the library to link to.

> Lastly, i'd also like for kplato to investigate implementing the
> migration api, so that kplato can generate reports (a request from dag).

Make it a flake shape.

> How can all this be handled in a way that make everyone happy?

Its mostly about making you not be disappointed when you need to maintain
this :)

--
Thomas Zander