List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal for splitting koffice/plugins/ dir
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-06-24 20:24:11

2009/6/24 Cyrille Berger <cberger@cberger.net>:
> On Wednesday 24 June 2009, Adam Pigg wrote:
>> If such a a plugin was moved out of koffice svn, into eg sourceforge, what
>> difference would it make? the plugin would link kexi and kspread libs, and
>> if packaged, would pull in the required deps.
>>
>> Ofcourse, im perfectly happy to go with whatever is the right solution, i
>> guess we would need something in /interfaces to represent
>> libkspreadcommon,
>> precisely workbook, sheet and cell objects, loading and saving. Im not
>> sure how this would work so im open to help on that :)
> If we are talking about kspread migration, the idea is to use libkodf to
> generate an ODS file. While libkodf is currently limited to low level
> handling, the plan is also to have higher level.

Great, but this is not to-kspread migration, it's ods migration.
KSpread migration is a feature that pushed data into a living kspread
instance I have opened. Nothing like this is available for now I guess
at app-independent level.

> If we are talking about CSV handling, I would suggest to have the other way
> around, import from ODF, then using KoFilter, you get a link from CSV(or xls
> or...)-to-ODS-to-kexi.

Fine but not very useful. At least no more useful than e.g. exporting
narive Krita file to 1 bit colorspace and to an application and
calling it "jpeg filter".
Cyrille, in other words, using CSV or ODF as an intermediate format
for typed data is very like the krita example. CSV is typeless and
using KoFilter chains in important cases degrades accuracy of
converting.

> If we are talking about spreadsheet/chart rendering, then the candidat
> library is flake which handle that.

Is this related to the topic?

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek