List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Connection tool
From:       jaham () gmx ! net
Date:       2009-06-14 20:38:14

On Saturday 13 June 2009 10:11:47 Jean-Nicolas Artaud wrote:
> Hello Jan, all,
>
> As you may know, I'm working on the connection tool. It's a tool which
> permit
> to connect any shapes with any shapes, or with canvas if you want to update
> lately the connection. It uses the connection shape and permits to use it
> more
> easily for users, I try to make it user friendly.

Good work so far. :-)

> Now that functional things are done, I would like to improve it by making
> the
> possibility to modify the path the link choose. We had talk about putting
> points
> on corner of lines that users could grab and move to choose the path he
> wants.
> We had talk about the trouble which could happens with an ODF file. What do
> look, read and learn to know how it works. What classes could permit to
> modify
> the ODF files, and the path etc. ? Have you already got an idea to solve
> this ODF
> file format trouble ? Is it part of my "job" to work on it ?

For the official material to look at you can download the odf specification
from http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office . The
class.  The connection "routing" is also done in that class.
An easy thing to start would be to add the code in place to load and save the
skew values, use them when routing the connection and to add a way to edit
them. A first version for editing them could be some controls in the
KoConnectionShapeConfigWidget. Then you could add control points/handles
within the connection shape, so that the skew value can be changed with the
mouse directly on the canvas.
After that you probably have a good understanding of the code involved and
potencial problems/things to solve when working on the handles/control points
to change the actual connection appearance.
It would be really great if you can keep working on the connection stuff. I am
afraid that I might not have much time to work on it, since I have already so
much things to do. Of course you won't be working completetly on your own, so
you can always ask if there is something you need input on or help with. But i
think you ahve the skills already to make it work.

Ciao Jan