List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Marketing of KOffice 2.0.0 again
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-04-22 19:26:26

2009/4/22 Inge Wallin <inge@lysator.liu.se>:
> As you may remember, the marketing of KDE 4.0 was great in some aspects,
> namely that most people had heard about it when it came out. A less fortunate
> aspect of it was that people had very high expectations. They didn't
> understand that 4.0.0 was an initial release and not really fit for production
> work. The end result was a lot of talk about "marketing disaster" and other
> nastiness.
>
> We in the marketing group thought that we would try to avoid the same for
> KOffice 2 and 2.0.0. One way to do it could be to change the release name and
> add something to it.  So far, we have come up with some ideas that we would
> like some input on:
>
>  * KOffice 2.0.0 Platform Release
>  * KOffice 2.0.0 Tech Preview

Hi,
I only base my assumption on what I have heard from "typical" reader
of such announcements. As for the above notation, they tend
to look at "Platform Release" and "Tech Preview" as some kind a
codename. I am afraid that people could count in this way: 2.0.0 ==
2.0.0.
I've (and we all?) dealt with journalists making simple mistakes, not
always with much chances even for publishing errata...

If I was practical, inconsequent (but yes, practical) calling "Tech
Preview" as 1.9.9 would make sense for me...
This is weird of course. But so do is gmail (beta), and MS products
quickly moving from version 12.0 to 14.0 or from 3.0 to 3.5.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek