List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Marketing of KOffice 2.0.0 again
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2009-04-22 14:57:25

As you may remember, the marketing of KDE 4.0 was great in some aspects,
namely that most people had heard about it when it came out. A less fortunate
aspect of it was that people had very high expectations. They didn't
understand that 4.0.0 was an initial release and not really fit for production
work. The end result was a lot of talk about "marketing disaster" and other
nastiness.

We in the marketing group thought that we would try to avoid the same for
KOffice 2 and 2.0.0. One way to do it could be to change the release name and
add something to it.  So far, we have come up with some ideas that we would
like some input on:

 * KOffice 2.0.0 Platform Release
 * KOffice 2.0.0 Tech Preview

The weakness of the "Tech Preview" alternative is that already the alphas were
labeled that, but the 2.0.0 release is a tech preview on a different level so
I don't think we should rule it out immediately.

The idea is of course to make it crystal clear that this is something that we
intend to build upon in the future, but that it isn't ready for end users
doing production work on it. Even that may of course be wrong for a few
programs such as Karbon (and Krita?).

Please note, that this is not the same as the codename for the release.  For
that I suggest the name "Kakushin". Read Aarons latest blog to see what it
means.

	-Inge