List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    GSoC: support for versioned OpenDocument files.
From:       Per Hermansson <hermansson.per () bredband ! net>
Date:       2009-03-26 18:52:49

Hi all KOffice users and developers!

My name is Per Hermansson and I'm a student from the Royal institute of
technology in Sweden. I've recently switched to KDE and started to use
KOffice my thought is that participating in the community seems like the
next step to take. One of the KOffice ideas that interested me the most
is about adding support for versioned OpenDocument files (see
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Summer_of_Code/2009/Ideas#KOffice).

After some investigation I've come up with the following initial
questions about the idea:

Since KSpread has full support for versioned files I guess that KWord
and KPrsenter are next in mind, is their any other applications that
would benefit from versioned file support?

The pre-requisite mentions excellent English reading skills
but also that this feature is not documented in the OpenDocument
specification so I'm just curious about the intention behind the
requisites. From what I understand, the ability to understand (or
reverse engineer the OpenOffice the implementation) is more
important aspect?

When implementing this feature would it be better to make it into
an add-on instead of the integrating it in the main distribution?

Final question is that the idea doesn't have a mentor, is it
possible to find one here on the list, or what is the best
strategy to find one here?

/Per