List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Input on a possible GSoC proposal for table support
From:       Elvis Stansvik <elvstone () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-26 8:12:30

Disclaimer; Yes, I'm bringing this old skeleton out of the closet :)

Hello all,

I recently found out that I'm actually eligible for GSoC this year and
I've decided to write a proposal. I've been spending this morning
reading back on some of the discussions about tables going on. It's a
tricky issue for sure, with many considerations and possible pitfalls,
but I've decided that I'd really like to take on support for tables
for my GSoC, if maybe not bringing it to third base, considering the
complexity of the issue, then at least a good bit on the way.

So, before I write my formal proposal, I'd really like some input from
you guys, specifically from those of you who've in one way or another
had your fingers in table code (boudewijn, thomas, ingwa, thorsten?,
stefan n?).

In short:

 o Is there a consensus that a QTextTable based implementation is the
natural and most robust way to go, instead of an inlined table shape?
What are the toughest obstacles with this approach in your opinion?

 o If a complete table implementation is not a realistic goal for a
GSoC, can the task be broken into sub-goals, one of which would be a
fitting GSoC? What would be a good way to break it up? Complete
load/save round-trip, display, editing?

 o Is there anything really big that you know off-hand is missing from
the koffice infrastructure and/or Qt which would need to be
added/extended before work on a table implementation can begin?

 o Is a table implementation a desirable GSoC this year? :)

I expect to be able to work essentially full-time with a GSoC this
summer if I'm accepted, and I'm also available for discussion and
planning of my proposal in the coming month.

Regards,
Elvis