List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC: KWord interface revamp proposal
From:       Sven Langkamp <sven.langkamp () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-23 14:31:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Thanks for your proposal. I have listed some of my thoughts below.

Design philosophy: Keep the most commonly used features easily accessible t=
> the user at all times, highlighting the strength of KWord in layering and
> use of frames. Display relevant features at relevant times. Using symbols=
> express ideas and tooltips to clarify rather than static text. Minimize t=
he
> user's visual parsing of interface required to find their desired action.
>

> Design goals:
> =95 Increase the productivity of KWord users
> =95 Introduce convenient shortcuts for common tasks
> =95 Showcase KWord's capabilities and features to unfamiliar users
> =95 Minimize usage of dropdown/popup windows
> =95 Eliminate the need to modify the UI for functionality
> =95 Conserve screen space
> =95 Maintain the customizaton and flexibility that KOffice users are
> accustomed to

These goals are quite sinilar to the ones that lead to the current user
interface. Still we did draw different conclusions.

The basic idea behind the dockers at the side is that it uses the space mor=
effectively on widescreen screens which are getting more and more popular.
Also the documents in KWord are usually higher than they are wide. You can
see in your mockup that some gray areas appear on the right and left side o=
the page, at the same time vertical space is reduced.

For the dockers itself: Many of the dockers are shared across KOffice, so
they appear in the other apps to. This means that if you start changing
dockers in KWord that effects all other apps aswell. It was one of the
design goals that the they are consistent across KOffice. Additionally the
dockers are optimized for the current arrangement. I don't see how the
mockup reduces the usage of dropdown/popup window (except that you removed
all menus). You removed the styles tab which is an essential part of KWord
and is long list of styles. The only way to add it to the mockup would be t=
have it as combobox, which could be very cumbersome if you need a lot of
styles.

I'm not a usability person, but I doubt that the UI would get more
productive or the features could be easier discovered. The current UI allow=
to show more functions at same time. As you can see in your mockup there ar=
two dockers which use nearly the complete horizontal space and tabs are
needed to show more. As you removed the menus at the same time you would
have to compress everything like in the ribbon to fit into it. With the
current UI I can put about 4-6 dockers onto the screen

Personally I think it's not the time for a bigger UI change at the moment.
We have just got a completly new interface for 2.0 and I don't see the poin=
to design a completly different UI so short after the release of the
previous one. We can say "Look here we have a completly new UI, but don't
get used to it as the next release will have a completely new ribbon UI".
Also the reactions that I have seen about the current UI were mostly
positive so far.
Finally I think due to the shared nature of KOffice the implications of thi=
changes, the project might not be suited for a rather short gsoc project.
I'm not sure if you are aware of that but this project would need a lot mor=
than just moving some widgets in Qt Designer.