List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC Proposal - Versioning within OpenDocument files
From:       Pierre <pinaraf () pinaraf ! info>
Date:       2009-03-17 22:39:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 19:18:18 Nicholas Sinlock wrote:
> Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17. March 2009 17:36:17 Nicholas Sinlock wrote:
> >> But Thomas, I am not sure if I understand you
> >> about one thing.   Are you saying that you
> >>  don't want GSoC students to deal with any of the core apps code at all?
> >
> > I will limit my input on this matter to KWord and the textshape related
> > classes here, as that is where my experience and my invested time lies.
> > There is still a lot of work in the core that I think is useful to do,
> > but as I mentioned the shared vision on this is essential as well as good
> > communication.  Those things that grow over time as people work together.
> >
> > A GSoC student is per definition someone that is new to the project (as
> > that is our main goal for accepting students) and since the student works
> > full time and the mentor typically has a day job or even holidays its
> > very hard to share this common vision of code structures and intentions
> > while the GSoC runs.
> > So if you want to have a good chance of your contributions ending up in a
> > future KOffice release it will be a good idea to avoid working on the
> > core parts for your GSoC.
> >
> > And it doesn't have to be an issue, really. There are really a million
> > cool projects you can do as plugins in KOffice.
> > Be creative :)
>
> Alright, let me just ask straight out then.   Do you feel that this
> proposal is too big for a GSoC period?
> If so, could you give me an idea of what size is more appropriate?   I'd
> really rather like to be able to
> work on KOffice for the GSoC, and if my proposal is too big to begin
> with, I'd rather drop it an move
> on to a potentially more successful one.  Thanks!
I don't think that this proposal is too big for a GSoC : versionning has no
relation with any change tracking system : it's just about being able to store
and retrieve "snapshots" of the document to/from a single ODF file.
That behaviour is not standardized so far, OpenOffice.org implements it using
a new Versions.xml file in the document root folder, and with a versions
subfolder containing each version as a simple OpenDocument file.
So I don't think that this would be too hard to implement in KOffice for a
GSoC. Moreover, this would benefit every KOffice application supporting ODF.