List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC Proposal - Versioning within OpenDocument files
From:       Nicholas Sinlock <isolatedincident () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-17 18:18:18

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tuesday 17. March 2009 17:36:17 Nicholas Sinlock wrote:
>
>> But Thomas, I am not sure if I understand you
>> about one thing.   Are you saying that you
>>  don't want GSoC students to deal with any of the core apps code at all?
>>

> I will limit my input on this matter to KWord and the textshape related
> classes here, as that is where my experience and my invested time lies.
> There is still a lot of work in the core that I think is useful to do, but as
> I mentioned the shared vision on this is essential as well as good
> communication.  Those things that grow over time as people work together.
>
> A GSoC student is per definition someone that is new to the project (as that
> is our main goal for accepting students) and since the student works full
> time and the mentor typically has a day job or even holidays its very hard to
> share this common vision of code structures and intentions while the GSoC
> runs.
> So if you want to have a good chance of your contributions ending up in a
> future KOffice release it will be a good idea to avoid working on the core
> parts for your GSoC.
>
> And it doesn't have to be an issue, really. There are really a million cool
> projects you can do as plugins in KOffice.
> Be creative :)

Alright, let me just ask straight out then.   Do you feel that this
proposal is too big for a GSoC period?
If so, could you give me an idea of what size is more appropriate?   I'd
really rather like to be able to
work on KOffice for the GSoC, and if my proposal is too big to begin
with, I'd rather drop it an move
on to a potentially more successful one.  Thanks!