List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC Proposal - Versioning within OpenDocument files
From:       Nicholas Sinlock <isolatedincident () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-17 16:36:17

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 16. March 2009 23:57:13 Thomas Zander wrote:
>
>> Bottom line; I want to feel you are already aware on a global
>> implementation level of how this is going to work. If you are fresh at the
>> koffice codebase then this project is just too big for a GSoC.
>>
>> If you have a proposal of working on something that doesn't come so close
>> to what others are also working on (text/odf/change-tracking), that would
>> have my preference.
>>

> Someone asked me off-list to elaborate on this; fair enough :)
> As PiereSt mentioned there are two approaches; I was actually only aware of
> the one that is storing differences. Which is an approach I think is most
> valuable for our long term goals (which include collaborative editing[1])
> In line with that thinking I have to say that it doesn't make much sense to
> have the GSoC depend on not-yet-written code that PierreSt wants to create.
> And as long as you two don't sit in the same office I think working on the
> same concepts just doesn't work.

First, I think Pierre's idea of a snapshot version is exactly what I was
going for with my proposal, as that
is exactly what the OOo versioning system is. It's a "side feature"
which allows for the creation of snapshots
of the file at a certain moment in time.  I'd wanted to see about using
change tracking to implement the ability
but even if the code WAS there, it'd be too much work for a GSoC.  That
being said, I don't need to rely on
change tracking to implement a snapshot versioning system similar to
OOo's.   This has several advantages.
First, it can leverage a lot of the existing ODF/XML tools, which means
it would be small enough to
implement in a summer.   Second, the beauty is that once we have change
tracking, one could go back and
reimplement it using the change tracking, as well as adding a lot more
functionality, as you pointed out Thomas.

I'd argue it's worthwhile to implement that system now, since we can,
rather than wait for change tracking, due
to the difficulties Pierre pointed out.   This feature can be done now
in this manner.  Even if it's "inefficient", it's
a good start, and a more comprehensive system based on change tracking
would be better, but will take more
time to implement since it requires not just change tracking, but all of
the other features mentioned by Pierre.

I'm working on the second draft of my proposal, which will include more
of the details.  So, hopefully I will be
able to convince you.   But Thomas, I am not sure if I understand you
about one thing.   Are you saying that you
 don't want GSoC students to deal with any of the core apps code at all?