List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC Proposal - Versioning within OpenDocument files
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-03-17 12:02:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 16. March 2009 23:57:13 Thomas Zander wrote:
> Bottom line; I want to feel you are already aware on a global
> implementation level of how this is going to work. If you are fresh at the
> koffice codebase then this project is just too big for a GSoC.
>
> If you have a proposal of working on something that doesn't come so close
> to what others are also working on (text/odf/change-tracking), that would
> have my preference.

Someone asked me off-list to elaborate on this; fair enough :)
As PiereSt mentioned there are two approaches; I was actually only aware of
the one that is storing differences. Which is an approach I think is most
valuable for our long term goals (which include collaborative editing[1])
In line with that thinking I have to say that it doesn't make much sense to
have the GSoC depend on not-yet-written code that PierreSt wants to create.
And as long as you two don't sit in the same office I think working on the
same concepts just doesn't work.

In KOffice2 we have made the power of adding feature via plugins much more
clear than it ever was.  For that reason I think we should try to get any
GSoC working on projects they can do in a plugin. This is much better for
starting developers as they can work on their own pace and avoid depending on
others or others on them.
I'd like to keep the amount of people working on the core apps+shapes down as
communication and coordination is essential. Or at least a clearly shared
vision. Which I don't expect new SoC students to pick up immediately.

A great example of a successful project is the musicShape.  Its maybe even
something that one might want to continue working on :)

Hope that helps!

1) http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Collaboration
--
Thomas Zander