List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Migration from KOffice 1 to KOffice 2
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-02-19 10:39:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 19. February 2009 11:29:38 Inge Wallin wrote:
> Now that we are approaching the final phase of the release cycle, it's
> probably a bit late, but I wanted to bring up an issue anyway that I think
> KDE has ignored a bit too much: Migration.
>
> If I run KOffice 2 apps, will they be able to read the settings from
> koffice 1?

KDE4 apps typically use a different prefix for storing properties then their
kde3 counterparts.
So KOffice apps would not even be able to find them, let alone migrate them.

> And will I be able to switch back and forth between, say, kword 1.6 and
> kword 2.0 without getting my settings destroyed?

Due to the separation, yes.
Naturally having 2 different versions of one application installed is not
supported.

> What we don't want is that people who are koffice 1.x users, who try out
> koffice 2 get their old settings destroyed and then can't really switch
> back if they don't think koffice 2.0 is mature enough.

If they use distro packages for kdelibs the chances are pretty good that that
distro altered the dir to save settings in to something like ~/.kde4

--
Thomas Zander