List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Migration from KOffice 1 to KOffice 2
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2009-02-19 10:35:54

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Inge Wallin wrote:

> Now that we are approaching the final phase of the release cycle, it's
> probably a bit late, but I wanted to bring up an issue anyway that I think
> KDE has ignored a bit too much: Migration.
>
> If I run KOffice 2 apps, will they be able to read the settings from koffice
> 1? Probably there are many settings that are not relevant in koffice 2 from
> koffice 1 and vice versa, but those that are, are they stored similarly?

And don't forget the difference between distributions: some of them, like
opensuse, have .kde and .kde4.

> And will I be able to switch back and forth between, say, kword 1.6 and kword
> 2.0 without getting my settings destroyed?

Only if your distribution allows you to use kde4 and kde3 side-by-side, like
OpenSUSE.

> What we don't want is that people who are koffice 1.x users, who try out
> koffice 2 get their old settings destroyed and then can't really switch back
> if they don't think koffice 2.0 is mature enough.

I'm sure that'll happen. And I'm equally sure that we will not be able to
have code in place to prevent that, both because of time constraints, and
because it is dependent on the distribution.

Boudewijn