List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Release work
From:       Andrew <andrew.dorrell () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-05 0:09:57

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Friday 30 January 2009, Inge Wallin wrote:
>
> Looking to the future, I'm more and more getting convinced that we should do
> separate releases of the libs, and of the applications, where release dates
> are not necessarily synched. That might make life a bit harder for us since we
> need to figure out dependencies, but also easier since it enables us to have
> interim releases of applications with new functionality.

I hope nobody minds me giving some opinion here - I am new to the
community and will graciously accept being ignored or corrected if any
of the following is based on misconception...

As a long term user of KDE (but not koffice) I'd like to say that I
would support and appreciate decoupling of libs and apps.  And even a
more visible decoupleing of apps from the concept of a suit for the
purpose of installation.

I have never really been convinced of the virtues of bundling so many
apps into a suit before the individual apps are strong.  While it is an
excellent idea to consolidate development efforts this way, for end
users it sets a high expectations.  Maturity is expected across the suit
and there is frustration about under-performing components.
(Remembering that office and ccreativity apps are critical components
for work and users will not switch to them untill they are confident
that they are robust and reliable as the typically cannot bear the risk
of losing hours of possibly irreplacable work due to a dodgy
application... unless of course their company *required* them to use
that application ;) )

It is difficult therefore for developers to achieve positive feedback
for excellent work in a single app because the whole suit is judged
together.  Separation may lead to a more rewarding work arrangement for
developers.

Also it is easier for users to grab and try out a single app that
interests them as it makes download and install faster and doesn't
cruft-up their menues.  If they are impressed with the one app then
others will be installed and the integration will be well appreciated at
that time.

Thanks for reading.