List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Saving Unknown ODF Elements
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-09-29 15:17:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 29. September 2008 13:22:58 Inge Wallin wrote:
> This discussion has diverged from the original question about should we
> keep as much of a loaded document as possible to a subthread about
> templates. But I haven't seen any reason so far that we should throw away
> valid ODF data even if we cannot show it correctly on the screen or we can
> show it but not edit it.

The main reason here is one of publishing your work; let me explain with an
example.

Consider I am a user of KOffice and I have a huge set of documents to base my
work on. I am free to copy/paste from these documents.
So I work on creating a good looking document for my client and at one point I
decide its done.
I then send this document to my client who uses OOo.

The effect I might encounter is that by me doing copy paste I have inserted
content of a type that I don't see on screen. Or just as bad KOffice doesn't
honor the hiding of paragraphs property so all parags will be visible always.
In any case, the document that I created may not look the way I want to in
OOo. And thats bad ;)

So, apart from the normal usecase of working together with people there is a
clear second usecase of publishing.
The act of me sending the doc to the client is one of publishing in the sense
that I consider the document final.
At such a time I should be able to remove any ODf data that I don't see.

This is very similar to the MSOffice concept of removing hidden data using a
special tool. Making it smaller and removing old revisions.

Next to that I would like to see a way to introspect the document and offer
suggestions to the user to improve the quality. We can check that all colors
have a strong enough contrast to their backgrounds, or check that the colors
we are showing on the beamer or paper are actually going to be visible and
not have too high a saturation.

Bottom line is that, yes, this worry is a valid concern. I don't want to go as
far as Johannes proposed to add a dialog every time you save, I would rather
have a separate user action to strip the data as that fits better with the
expected workflows.
--
Thomas Zander