List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Idea, wider default toolbox
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-09-27 21:45:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 27. September 2008 22:44:44 Sven Langkamp wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Adam Pigg <adam@piggz.co.uk> wrote:
> > With the default toolbox width of 2 buttons, the text at the top isnt
> > displayed correctly, kword displays 'k...', krita and kspread display
> > 'To...'
> >
> > Any views on making it default to 3 buttons wide?
>
> We should reconsider the okular-like toolbar. There was a dicussion about
> it here a few months ago, but was put on hold as the summer of usability
> was about the same thing.

I'm still not sure what the focus of the summer of usability was about, and
I have not seen any results presented anywhere so far.  If someone has a
document would be cool if he can put it up on the wiki :)

> It has a few advantages:
> -it do not have a title
Thats something we should do in the toolbox too.

> -it uses only a much space as it needs

As does the toolbox

> -the number of rows depends on the available vertical space

As does the toolbox

> The downside is that it's not a docker.

Yes, I think thats a big downside as this makes it not fit in the
koffice-wide design.

> Other than that I think the buttons in the toolbox should be bigger, but
> that's just a matter of taste.

Well, that would be a nice feature for 2.1; add a context menu to set the
button size :)

All in all, its probably a matter of taste. I don't know of actual problems
with the current toolbox, it can certainly could use more love but the
(user interface) design seems to be Ok, and consistent.
Do you think the current toolBox is good enough for the 2.0 release?
--
Thomas Zander