List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: please svn up eigen2
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2008-08-31 12:58:01

On Sunday 31 August 2008, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Sunday 31 August 2008, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Sunday 31. August 2008 13:11:27 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > The only price is another little hickup when doing svn up, after
> > > kdgantt gets updated.
> >
> > Thats the only price *you* see, we discussed this on IRC about a week ago
> > and david for example was quite surprised you only noted this little
> > problem.
>
> Well, I was not convinced by his and your arguments.
>
> > Lets not repeat the discussion on a mailinglist,
>
> Actually, let's. The mailing list is way more public than irc, especially
> since nobody from the other eigen-using project is on irc. This is a much
> better place for such a discussion.

Just to give an overview: David Faure has three objections to using
svn:external:

* git-svn users hate externals,
* externals are slow,
* they confuse people...

Thomas has a further objection:

* if you are on ssh auth, then its rather painful.

And Marijn offerd:

* people behind proxies/firewalls don't like externals either I think

Of course, if these problems are unsurmountable, we already have a problem
with our svn external of kdgantt.

Personally, I don't care about git-svn users' preferences. I hate the flurry
of useless micro-commits git-svn users generate, but don't complain about
that. If you use tools outside the things kde and koffice support, then you're
on your own.

I don't think the slowness is a problem, compared to, say noticing krita
doesn't build, svn upping eigen2, make installing eigen2 and start compiling
again.

The confusion is a moot point. I don't think anyone but Gael and Benoit have
the inclination to hack on eigen itself, and if they change stuff in the svn
external and try to commit it, well, that's their lookout.

If ssh auth is a real problem, Thomas is already down and out, since we
already have an svn external. Same with proxies/firewalls. I'm not sure what
the problem with proxies and firewalls is, actually, since I was able to
checkout koffice behind an evil Microsoft proxy and firewall, as well as my
home firewall.

The advantages is that Benoit can continue making Krita simpler, faster and
more release ready without disturbing anyone, that distributions like Debian
have an easier time (Ana already basically includes eigen with our packages)
and any disadvantage is mitigated by the situation being temporary.

For me, there are two alternatives to having a koffice-wide svn external of
eigen:

* have one in krita alone.
* copy the eigen headers regularly into the krita source tree for the time
being.

Stopping Benoit doing the work he's doing is not an alternative for me.