List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Presenting KOffice 2.0
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2008-08-25 22:43:05

On Monday 25 August 2008, Alexandra Leisse wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 August 2008, Alexandra Leisse wrote:
> > Here are some random thoughts on the subject:
> >
> > * 1.6 vs 2.0 vs 2.x:
> > Like for KDE 4.0 and KDE 4, we have the issue of making people understand
> > that 2.0 is just the begining of the KOffice 2 serie. Unlike KDE4.0 vs
> > KDE3.5, I don't think we have major regression between KOffice 2.0 vs
> > KOffice 1.6 (most features that aren't in 2.0 were broken in 1.6), only
> > two applications are going to miss the release: Kivio and Kexi. That said
> > 2.0 is going to miss some higly demanded features (I am thinking about
> > tables in kword, for instance).
>
> I think we did learn from the 4.0 release which didn't head off too
> nicely marketing-wise. So stressing the new technologies will make
> sense and so does focusing on roadmaps. So... we should talk about
> what is there and what is soon to be expected instead of pointing to
> the missing features.
>
> What comes to my mind first is: What makes KOffice stand out from the
> crowd? Why should anybody choose this office suite instead of another?
Lets answer that:
- lightweight
- fast
- KDE integration
- consistency
- the most comprehensive Office Suite in Existence, the fact that KOffice
includes productivity applications (KWord, KSpread, KPresenter (kexi,Kivio)),
creativity applications (Krita, Karbon) and management (KPlato) is a strong
selling point

Anyone else things about something else ?

> > * Targets of the promotion message:
> > I tend to consider that 2.0 is much more a release for us, after 2 years
> > and half of developement;, we really need to release something. It's also
> > a release to demonstrate the possibility of the technology. That said,
> > there are a lot of use cases that are covered by KOffice 2.0, we probably
> > need to identify them, to clearly state what can be done and can't be
> > done with 2.0. With that in minds, we can determine who is going to be
> > our marketing targets.
>
> I'm not completely sure if I got that right. Could you give an example
> of the use cases you were thinking of?

I mean example of work that can be done for 2.0, like a CV/résumé , or
writting a letter, or a presentation including graphics.

--
Cyrille Berger