List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Presenting KOffice 2.0
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2008-08-24 22:30:04

Hi,

Thanks for bringing life back to the topic :)

On Sunday 24 August 2008, Alexandra Leisse wrote:
> I registered a talk for OpenExpo which is scheduled for Sep 24th.
> Intention was to promote KOffice to a rather techsavvy audience as
> well as preparing the new release. I kept the abstract fuzzy enough to
> lead this talk into whatever useful direction.
>
> If you intend to think about how to present 2.0 IMHO you should start
> soon as this needs some wise preparation and should be done before
> beta1. This will give us the opportunity to promote the release as
> effectively as possible and create enough interest _before_ the
> release.

Actually we have started to think about it for a while. What we haven't done
at all is formalized our ideas, and list things that need to be done for
marketing 2.0. If I may say so, our marketing strategy is still pre-alpha...
So any help to focus on what need to be done is very welcomed.

Here are some random thoughts on the subject:

* 1.6 vs 2.0 vs 2.x:
Like for KDE 4.0 and KDE 4, we have the issue of making people understand that
2.0 is just the begining of the KOffice 2 serie. Unlike KDE4.0 vs KDE3.5, I
don't think we have major regression between KOffice 2.0 vs KOffice 1.6 (most
features that aren't in 2.0 were broken in 1.6), only two applications are
going to miss the release: Kivio and Kexi. That said 2.0 is going to miss
some higly demanded features (I am thinking about tables in kword, for
instance).

* Targets of the promotion message:
I tend to consider that 2.0 is much more a release for us, after 2 years and
half of developement;, we really need to release something. It's also a
release to demonstrate the possibility of the technology. That said, there
are a lot of use cases that are covered by KOffice 2.0, we probably need to
identify them, to clearly state what can be done and can't be done with 2.0.
With that in minds, we can determine who is going to be our marketing
targets.

--
Cyrille Berger