List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: gsoc pencils down dot article
From:       cricketc () gmail ! com
Date:       2008-08-17 0:53:28

Well, you know basically what I've done, but here's a little
description for those who don't know.

Before this summer, KWord converted MS docs into the old KWord format,
instead of ODT's. This old format limited some of what could be
converted, because the ODT format is more developed, and KWord has
switched to using ODT by default, so it's a good idea to filter
documents into that format. The first part of my project involved
going through the old filter code and converting it to ODT output. I
also did a bit of work on KoGenStyles as part of that process.

The last part of the summer I've spent focusing on images. This
involved digging into WV2 code, since its image parsing was very
limited. There are many different ways to encode images in Word
documents, and I definitely didn't cover all of them, but I'm
attaching a screenshot of a document that I created in Word 2000,
converted to an ODT with koconverter, and then opened in OOo. So, now
there's much more of an image framework in WV2 and the koffice filter.
There are still bugs and there's a lot of work still to do on the
filter, but I feel like a lot of progress has been made.

-Benjamin