List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: One week left to soft-freeze
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2008-08-07 22:39:06

Thomas Zander said the following, On 2008-08-07 18:37:
> On Thursday 7. August 2008 13:58:33 Cyrille Berger wrote:
>> I am very doubtfull that a subset of 1.6 applications can be installed side
>> by side with a subset of 2.0 applications (in the same prefix). And quiet a
>> few distributions have allready indicated their wish to drop KOffice 1.6,
>> in the *very* near future.
>
> If there are any problems, I'd be surprised.
> All our libraries are versioned so you can have kofficelibs 1.x and 2.x
> installed at the same time.
> Moreover, most of them got renamed.
>
> Naturally you can not have kexi1.x and kexi2.0 installed at the same time, in
> the same prefix.  There is a simple name clashing issue.

It's interesting to ship with kexi binary renamed to kexi2...

> For that reason I suggest we only release (in the final 2.0 release) the
> applications that we intend are ready to replace their 1.x versions.

The problem is indeed with Kexi 2.0 not being ready to replace 1.6.3 due to
missing features that users depend on since 1.x era. That's similar to the
well known plasma problem when the KDE4 desktop API was under large
development (not mentioning the graphics) so cannot become instantly full of
features.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek