List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: ODF Lists
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2008-07-29 21:11:39

On Monday 28 July 2008, Roopesh Chander wrote:
> It looks like headings need not be part of a list at all.

not need but it makes sense.

> This implies that:
> <text:h>Heading</text:h>
> should not have any list style applied on it (it consequently will have
> no numbering), but
> <text:list><text:list-item><text:h>Heading</text:h></text:list-item></text:
>list> will be part of a qtextlist. The list style of this qtextlist will be
> derived as it's done for paragraphs (check if there's a list style
> specified on the <text:list> itself, or maybe it's parent list? Else the
> paragraph's list style. Barring all, look at default list style.)

to add a bit more confusion; paragraphs can be numbered too...

> In my understanding, this means that if there's an outline level
> specified, all headings not within a <text:list> (which would otherwise
> have been without a qtextlist), will have to be added to the qtextlist
> corresponding to the outline style's qtextlist (for the heading's
> outline level).

We need to differ between presentation (no listitem) and internal (listitem)
anyway just like we need to do for e.g. pagenumbers too. iirc that's also how
oo.org does it and it makes quit sense since imho it makes the
code/implementation much more easy + layouter's job + that way we are easy
able to determinate the header-structure of a document (nothing like
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/soc-koffice-headers needed).

>    b) heading blocks should be part of a qtextlist if and only if
>       either (b1) the heading is part of a <text:list>
>           or (b2) the styles.xml specifies an outline-style
>    c) user can change association of list styles to headings using the
> stylemanager ui in the same way as is done for paragraphs.

hmmm... y, can but is that the best way? I doubt so.

> In fact, this implies that headers are really a lot like paragraphs (the
> only difference being they need to be included in the TOC) and not at
> all like lists.

paragraphs can be included in the toc too, there is no diff except that
headers are used to structure a document and exactly this is imho the biggest
use-case for headers compared to paragraphs.

> When I tried OO.o, just making a text heading and saving it results in
> just the <text:h> tag, but when you add numbering to it (by modifying
> the Heading1 paragraph style' list style from empty to some numbering
> style), it is written out as a list.

right, OO.org's internal presentation != odf presentation.

> I just wanted to make sure everyone else is in agreement to this
> understanding of the spec.

the question is more how to implement that part ;)