List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: ODF Lists
From:       Girish Ramakrishnan <girish () forwardbias ! in>
Date:       2008-07-25 8:16:57

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 24. July 2008 23:11:29 Sebastian Sauer wrote:
>> On Thursday 24 July 2008, Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
>>> paragraph's list style (See 14.11). Currently, we use outline-style.
>> 14.11 (1.1 specs);
>> "The outline style is a list style that is applied to all headings within a
>> text document where the heading's paragraph style does not define a list
>> style to use itself."
>>
>> So, the paragstyle [list style] is only used if there is no outline-style
>> for it
>
> That's not how I read it, I think you misread it.
> I read it that the style's list style is to be used and only when there is no
> list style associated with the paragraph style we use the document-wide
> outline style as a fallback.

This is my interpretation too. For headers,
1. The outline-style is a fallback.
2. We have to use the heading's paragraph list-style if available.
3. The outline-style is a document-wide fall back for the list style of
headers.

Maybe it's better to say it with some xml, for you all know we might all
be agreeing :-). Consider,

<text:outline-style>
     ...list style...
</text:outline-level-style>

style:list-style-name="L1"/>

<text:h text:style-name="P1">whatever</text:h>

In the case, above,
1. We use style L1 for the heading. outline-style is ignored.
2. If P1 did not have L1, we would have used outline-style.

This is the reason, the current code in svn is wrong. The code in rev
830869 is also wrong. The applyListStyle argument to
KoParagraphStyle::applyStyle() is false, it should be true (iirc, I
think I added that code). In the code, we should then proceed to
applying the outline-style depending on whether the item is already on
the list which is currently not done.

Girish